Lens Covers and Their Uses in Indoor Lighting
Every lighting application calls for a different extrusion. The choice of plastic depends on rigidity needs, projected UV and temperature exposure, and design elements like color. Color, shade, brightness, and hue are all common answers, to the question, “how should this room be lit?” but have you considered lens covers for your lights? Lens covers are responsible for filtering your lights so that they distribute brightness correctly, without being too bright or too dim. Inplex Custom Extruders has been creating lens covers and other plastic tubing products for more than 50 years. We know what types of materials will work best for your project and we make sure that all the components we use are of the highest quality. Let’s look at some lighting applications and which plastic tends to work best for each.
Choosing Plastics for Lighting Extrusion
LED Channel Strip Covers
When you have LED strip lighting that needs protection from dust, water, and foot traffic, you need a sturdy rigid plastic. Common choices include:
- Polyethylene, which is an affordable plastic available in a range of rigidities. Available in translucent and colored styles, it can complement your design well.
- Polyurethane is also available in flexible to rigid hardness. It can be made water-resistant or oil-resistant depending on your needs.
- Cellulosics, such as butyrate, propionate, and acetate, are transparent and rigid thermoplastics that protect your LED strip effectively. They commonly feature a UV stabilizer and can be color-matched to your designs.
- Vinyl is a versatile and budget-friendly material that can be made rigid or flexible, depending on your needs. Available in colored or clear, it can be used for industrial or indoor lighting, and even FDA-grade projects.
Rope lighting gives you lots of flexibility for design, but it needs plastic tubing to maintain its quality. The tubing made for rope lighting is always flexible and can have other properties as needed.
- Kynar Fluoropolymer is both flexible and sturdy. It is resistant to damage from heat, chemicals, and UV light.
- Low-density Polyethylene is also resistant to chemicals and UV light but is more budget-friendly. Available in translucent or colored, it is an affordable option that can protect and enhance your lighting.
- Polyurethane is great for rope lighting at floor-level because it is cut and abrasion-resistant.
- Flexible Nylon and Colored Flexible Vinyl are similarly sturdy. Both can be ordered in industrial or FDA grades.
Rigid Lens Covers
Whether it’s a waiting room or a retail space, the right lens covers can provide the perfect touch for your aesthetic.
- ABS is highly versatile and has a matte finish. Use a natural amber or off-white for a traditional look or get creative with colors.
- HIPS also known as styrene, is great for projects on a budget. It’s lightweight but still offers you a variety of color options.
Inplex Custom Extruders offers a durable and fully customizable range of lens covers, rope lighting tubing, and LED channel strip covers ideal for the home or workplace.
Contact us today to find out what we can do for you!
Back to Blog